Call for Linked Research
- CC0 1.0 Universal
What is this?
Linked Research is set out to socially and technically enable researchers to take full control, ownership, and responsibility of their own knowledge, and have their contributions accessible to the society at maximum capacity, by dismantling the use of archaic and artificial barriers.
This is a Call for Linked Research!
There is no central authority to judge the value of your contributions. You do not need permission to publish! Control your own research and communication. The Web already enables you to be the publisher!
This is not something hypothetical or may happen in the future, it is completely possible today and there are ongoing initiatives and tooling to make it so.
Linked Research’s core goals:
- Publishing and ownership of documents and data
- Discovery and reuse of knowledge and data
- User experience and tooling
If you are a researcher e.g., in Web Science, reconsider and question the tooling or rules that you are asked to follow e.g:
- Academic paywalls
- Information silos e.g., third-party publishers
- Strictly desktop or “paper user interfaces” e.g., (La)TeX, PDF/Word
- Blind reviews
We can work towards solutions where researchers can publish and consume research objects, as well as reviews and annotations that are both human and machine-friendly.
How to Linked Research
- Access: Publish your work under a webspace that you control and trust e.g., your personal website, at your institution's webspace given to you, or library, or even at your company.
- User Experience: Take your articles further and enrich with user interactions to better communicate your ideas. Think beyond the boring fixed, non-interactive views.
- Open communication: Announce your ideas and invite your community to give feedback. Think beyond the minimal communication with organising or program committees. Encourage and help others to do the same.